Friday 8 May 2009

Classical Music - Rondo Veneziano

Ever since I was a child I have been interested in all kinds of music. People who've browsed through my iPod, can't quite figure out which genre I fit into, which is fine with me. I'm pretty much an eclectic when it comes to music. It has to reach me on an emotional level for me to love it. I remember a song from probably going on 20 years ago that I heard and has stuck with me forever. The song was Notturno in Gondola by Rondo Veneziano from the album Venice in Peril. I do have the LP somewhere, but had trouble getting it onto disc. High and low i've searched for this particular song to put on my laptop/iphone/ipod etc. And now i've finally found it.

I'm not quite sure what it is about the composition that I love so much. It's such a haunting piece that just gives me goose pimples.

As I sit here trying to relax (thanks to some hefty meds from the doctors), I get a sense as I close my eyes that i'm wandering in a meadow of yellow flowers and at the end of the field is an old shack. As I walk towards it, I see an old gentlemen just sitting on his porch in this brocken down building, only sheltered by some beams of wood overhead. The man is of black origin and aged approximately 80ish originated from the southern states of America. And he sits in solitude, his head bowed in contemplative silence as if waiting for something or someone to find him.

I don't approach him, instead I stop and sit, watching this man from a distance and this music is what I hear, a haunting melody of emotions that emanate from him. His sadness, whomever he is, is lonely and longing for something. Or maybe it's me who is longing for something. Where this has come from, I really have no idea, but if someone can explain it to me, i'd be very grateful. Is it just vivid imagination, or is it something i've seen before? I don't know. I've uploaded the music for you (hopefully it works). All I ask is when you listen to this music, what do you see, what do you hear, what do you feel?

Okay, so the music thing didn't quite work out as i'd planned. So i've put the link to the music at the bottom, don't worry there's no virus's and you don't have to download anything unless you wish, just simply press play on the required file and let me know what you think.

Notturno in Gondola by Rondo Veneziano

No comments: